Wednesday 8 September 2010

How I got my Journalism break...

Polly Vernon is deputy editor of The Observer Magazine. She's interviewed the likes of N Dubz and Piers Morgan, regularly informs readers what she's worn each week, and has even had a pair of jeans designed for her by high-street fashion brand, River Island. The question on everybody's lips: just how did she get her foot through the Journalism door?


"I didn't wake up and think, 'I want to be a journalist'. I started as a barmaid, then went into Fashion PR where I met other journalists. I then started writing fashion press releases, and freelanced from then on.
"I'd say I've always had an interest in writing, although journalism didn't initially cross my mind per se. I landed my first paid job at 25, but have been in the industry since I was 24. As I mentioned, I started as a freelancer, so began by pitching to magazines.


"My best advice to aspiring journalists is to become a good a writer as possible. Make sure you enjoy the writing process! Lastly, try not to be stunted by fear of ambition or anything like that - just write as much as you possibly can."


Find out more about the notable deputy editor at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/pollyvernon.

No comments:

Post a Comment